Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Word Up! It's Dictionary Day!

Today, October 16, is National Dictionary Day.  It's the birthday of Noah Webster (And coincidentally several other people I know!  It is a very popular day to be born).  Dictionary Day is a day to celebrate language, learn new words, or teach others a new word or two.

from http://www.squidoo.com/dictionary-day

Here's an excellent post on Squidoo that has compiled a mass of information about Dictionary Day, the history of the dictionary, as well as activities for all ages to celebrate this special day.  I remember playing  the Dictionary Game when I was in school.  I always enjoyed that one.  I also like the idea of the dictionary race, but our little ones are too little for those games.  

When trying to decide what activities I did want to do with the little ones for Dictionary Day, I first realized we don't actually have a dictionary!  In this day and age of technology with computers and smart phones, I realized Google had become my dictionary!  That's something we'll definitely have to rectify, so perhaps a good way to celebrate today is to go buy our own dictionary.

from http://www.dallastown.net/Page/3434

Don't want to have a physical dictionary?  No problem.  Check out this post for links to free online dictionary resources  for everyone!

We are making a trip to the local library today to look for different kinds of dictionaries, learn some new words, and enjoy our language!  How do you plan on celebrating Dictionary Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment